Garfield Smith is regarded as one of the UK’s leading information technology lawyers. Since his admission as a solicitor in 1999 he has focussed on advising companies and other organisations on legal matters related to technology, media, telecoms and data. Before founding Garfield Smith – Technology & Data Lawyers in 2014 he was previously an equity partner and head of the EMEA information technology team at a top 20 international law firm. He has been recognised as one of the country’s foremost information technology and data protection lawyers in both the Legal 500 and Chamber & Partners directories since 2006. His experience ranges from leading a team of 20 lawyers advising a global energy company on the world’s largest technology driven HR outsourcing to advising a UK company on every aspect of their growth (including raising $99 million in investment) from a start-up to one of the world’s foremost emergent technology providers in the adtech sector.
The additional experience text is as follows:
- Advising a Turkish technology investment fund on its investment in a UK developer of automobile logistics technology
- Advising a middle eastern technology investment fund on operational matters arising from its establishment in the United Kingdom
- Advising an international provider of augmented reality and image recognition technology on the operational and technology aspects of its $54m series D investment round
- Advising a US provider of technology to the construction industry on compliance with data privacy laws under the Data Protection Directive and GDPR in Europe
- Advising a UK start-up providing employee and customer feedback on the management of its intellectual property and on its first commercial deals with a number of large international organisations operating in a variety of sectors
- Advising a Chinese manufacturer and distributor of consumer technology on a broad range of issues arising from its European distribution agreements
- Advising a UK ‘Software-as-a-Service” technology provider on a number of multi-million dollar deals with international companies in the retail sector
- Advising a UK firm of architects in relation to matters arising from its commercial agreements; and
- Advising a high net worth individual in the television and media sector on a significant commercial agreement.